Monday, October 1, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Playlist

I wasn't really sure I'd like "Perks of Being a Wallflower." I thought it might be a little young for me, but I kept seeing things people had written about it, like how it was their favorite book ever or how it changed their lives. So, I figured it was worth a try. Plus it was a verrryyyyyyy slow Friday at work, and it was either read or spend three hours cycling through my Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest/repeat routine. There's only so many Facebook pictures of people's "gorgeous" children (breaking news: not every child is cute- mine will probably be all "honey boo boo" style and have three thumbs due to my saying that, but the truth will set me free, or piss people off. either way, guess how much I care? and please, don't get me started on pictures of flowers. Congrats, you're in a perfect relationship where you can rub in the face of all other girls that you got flowers, while some of us are stuck posting on Instagram. Just stop. I hate you), tweets about inappropriate topics (because i follow bad influences on twitter and am not ashamed to admit it, and am only mildly ashamed when someone reads the tweets over my shoulder- "ooh, bitchbrunette said what?! favorite and retweet."). And really, Pinterest friends, maternity pics aren't cute. None of them. Ever. Stop filling up my 'following' page with creepy fat baby bellies being kissed by creepy baby daddies. Give me more cats sleeping in awkward places instead. Those are always cute.  

So I gave up on finding intelligent human life on the internets and bought "Perks" on my Kindle app instead. Pretty soon, I was halfway through  the book (no small feat when reading on an iPhone screen) and I had slowly fallen in love with it. It read so effortlessly, and yet was pretty powerful at the same time. 

One of my favorite parts of the book is when Charlie makes a mix tape for his friend for Christmas, and calls it One Winter.  He says this about it when it's finished:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower



This quote just hits me right in the heart and makes me think of this blog. I find songs that I love, and I want to share them with you so that maybe you can use them to deal with your bad times more easily, or make your good times that much better. A song is a powerful thing, and sharing a song that has meaning to you can be one of those life moments that you never forget. I know I have several of those, and maybe one day soon I'll make my own as powerful as One Winter and share it with you.

The playlist is just as amazing as the quote, and the songs fit this dreary, rainy day perfectly.

One Winter: 
The Smiths - Asleep
Ride - Vapour Trail
Simon & Garfunkel - Scarborough Fair/Canticle
Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale
Nick Drake - Time of No Reply
The Beatles - Dear Prudence 
Suzanne Vega - Gypsy 
Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin 
Smashing Pumpkins - Daydream 
Genesis - Dusk 
U2 - MLK 
The Beatles - Blackbird 
Fleetwood Mac - Landslide
The Smiths - Asleep 

 My favorite song from the list is "Asleep" by The Smiths. I don't know why, I never expected myself to be a fan of theirs, but I love it.

 It's funny that a book can give a song a story, and that story can make you fall in love with a song you never would have given the time of day otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment