Friday, January 18, 2013

Ramble On--January 17

Two things first before I get to the music:

1. I cannot spell the word "January." I am a (basically) 25 year old college graduate and I cannot spell one of the months of the year. Yep.

2. There is some type of food/dirt substance under my laptop keyboard. This is annoying me to the point of sharing it with you. Yet not quite the point of me fixing it. Mostly because I don't know how to fix it.

3. (Yeah, I know I said two things but this one just hit me and is important too.) I think I'm getting sick again. Please, lord, do not let me get as sick as I was a month or so ago. I've gotten use to hearing out of un-clogged ears and breathing through un-stuffed nose.


Whiskey Myers-- Broken Window Serenade



A friend shared this with me the other day, knowing I would get it. And I did. (Thanks again, JT.) It's weird how life goes on and you change and grow and leave the past behind, but, as Metallica says, "The memory remains." (Fun fact: that was the first Metallica song I really liked, and it's what got me into them. I can clearly remember seeing the video for the first time in my bedroom on a Saturday morning, with that creepy old man making that creepy sound. Anyway, great song.) I guess part of growing up is learning that there are a lot of different ways to care about people. And though some parts of your life aren't really a part of it at all anymore, a song can trigger a memory, which in turn triggers an emotion, and you just have to lay in your bed and cry about the way life works out for people. But I find comfort in the peace that comes from decisions that I have made. Kind of deep for a Thursday night, I know. But this song is really good and I think a lot of people (especially my tville folks) will be able to identify with it.

I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it, but Whiskey Myers has a lot of other really good songs. I guess they would fall into the "real country" category, and it's the kind of country music I can really appreciate. It is real, it's meaningful, and about more than just a figure head wearing pair of tight jeans and a stereotypical cowboy hat on a head that's never written a song in their life singing about how country they are, drinking whiskey and riding their tractors. 

A couple of other good songs to check out by them: "Virginia," "Ballad of a Southern Man," and "Song for You." 

No comments:

Post a Comment